Thursday, February 28, 2008

Book of the Week 2/28/08 Thor #6


Written by J. Michael Straczynski
Pencils by Oliver Coipel
Inks by Mark Morales
Colors by Laura Martin
Letters by Chris Eliopoulos

I've basically been gushing about this book since it came out and I said it once and I'll say it again, I never even considered buying a Thor Book before six months ago but now I'm hooked. JMS has done a wonderful job of rebooting the god of thunder and using him in the modern age. Thor isn't on Asgard, he's on Earth and the first five issues have dealt with him making a decision on behalf of the rest of the gods and just what will that decision be.

We see Thor's choice in this issue and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. Just when I think that the book may falter and lose its way, JMS really comes through and changes things. It's just been announced that JMS is no longer exclusive to Marvel so I don't know where that's going to leave Thor. Perhaps he's still going on with the book or maybe he's leaving but I really hope that's not the case because this has become one of the books that I'm most excited to read every month.

I can't forget to mention Oliver Coipel's art because that's what made me want to try this title in the first place and its been stellar through this whole arc. Coipel's art is subtle yet strikingly beautiful, it's not the kind of art that you would expect from a Thor book but it's also the perfect fit. This was Coipel's last issue and while I'm expecting good things from Marko Djurdjevic, I'm really going to miss Oliver. I've been a huge fan of his since Avengers and House of M and I'll buy anything he does.

I don't hear a lot of people talk about this book....I actually don't hear anyone talking about it so I hope by reading this, you'll give the book a shot. This isn't the typical gods at war Thor book in years past. This book is centered around emotion, relationships and being a part of something special.

Try this book out, you won't be sorry.

No comments: